LESSONS FROM HISTORY: ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS A SLOW THINKER
(The following is an excerpt from the CD “Lincoln’s Wisdom”
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D. (You can obtain this CD at Amazon.com or at www.presidentlincoln.com)
“I was always a slow thinker. Billy Herndon, my long-time law partner, said I even walked like I needed oiling. He said if I tried to think too fast, the machinery jammed.
If you’re a slow thinker, there’s no reason to be embarrassed about it. There are advantages. You make fewer mistakes. Making decisions too quickly can be a great folly. Wisdom is more important than brilliance.
I was a slow thinker, but I was a deliberate, methodical thinker.
To use an analogy from surveying—I was a surveyor for a while—‘I was never happy with an idea until I had bounded it north, and bounded it south, and bounded it east, and bounded it west.’
Or to use an analogy from farming, I wanted to dig up an idea and examine it by the roots.
When I was a mere child, I used to get irritated when anybody talked to me in a way that I could not understand. I’d sometimes lie in my bed at night and turn the words over and over in my mind, until I thought I understood them, and then I would put the idea in language plain enough, as I thought, for any boy I knew to comprehend.
My son Willie thought in the same manner that I did. People said Willie was like me in many ways, and the way we processed ideas was one of them.
Once in the White House, I put a problem to Willie. He was silent for quite a while. Then he smiled and gave me his answer. I told a guest who was present: ‘I know every step of the process by which that boy arrived at his solution. It is by just such slow methods that I attain results.’”
“Coming Soon. “Blockbuster new book by Gene Griessman, Ph.D! Place your order now for an autographed copy. List price $24.95. Save $5.00. Free shipping in the U.S.”
Don’t leave just yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator if you invest more time here.
WhatYouSay.com Website Special!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES