What You Say To A Heckler: Lincoln’s Response
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
If you speak publicly, you need to know in advance what you will say in response to questions, objections, or heckling. This requires forward thinking—you anticipate what might happen, even worst-case scenarios.
Abraham Lincoln was a master at this. He was called the “best stump-speaker of the West,” and one reason was his ability to maintain control of difficult situations on the rough-and-tumble, often impolite American frontier. (Lincoln’s use of humor is covered in the DVD “Lincoln on Communication.”)
In 1856, a heckler interrupted Lincoln several times. Each time Lincoln managed to turn back the challenge with humor that was devastating to the interrupter. When the heckler tried again, Lincoln replied:
“Look here, my friend, you are only making a fool of yourself by exposing yourself to the ridicule which I have thus far succeeded in bringing upon you every time you have interrupted me. You ought to know that men whose business it is to speak in public, make it a part of their business to have something always ready for just such fellows as you are.”
(In this quote, the italics are mine. For a complete description of this event, see Michael Burlingame’s superb biography, ABRAHAM LINCOLN: A LIFE. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008, I, p. 427)
“Coming Soon. “Blockbuster new book by Gene Griessman, Ph.D! Place your order now for an autographed copy. List price $24.95. Save $5.00. Free shipping in the U.S.”
Don’t leave just yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice from very wise individuals. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator, and more successful if you invest more time here.
GENE GRIESSMAN’S WEBSITE SPECIAL!
JUST IMAGINE HAVING THESE WONDERFUL BOOKS, CDs, AND VIDEOS ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!
You will be delighted!
We guarantee it. With a lifetime return guarantee!
You won’t believe how much you receive for your investment!
PICTURE HOW THRILLED YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM SPECIALS!