What You Say To Yourself If You Want To Succeed
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
The game-winning pass that Denver Bronco quarterback Tim Tebow threw to Demaryius Thomas has created quite a stir. That 80-yard pass play upset the favored Pittsburgh Steelers in overtime, and went into the NFL history book. The shortest overtime ever, in regular season or playoffs. Just 11 seconds.
Great football! Great theater!
Plus a great opportunity to learn a lesson about what it takes to achieve.
Tebow’s pass might have been just another fine pass completion, had it not been for the electrifying run by Demaryius Thomas, a young receiver who was not yet a big name.
One of the Broncos—Willis McGahee, who recovered the fumble that set up the overtime—told a reporter afterward: “I was just saying, ‘Man, trust your speed. Trust your speed. Don’t cut back. Don’t cut back.’ And he kept it straight. He outran the guy.”
McGahee’s comment is precisely what I teach leaders about effective communication. Trust your talent! Trust your talent!
I learned that lesson from one of my acting coaches. He taught me to do that if an audience is not responding the way I want it to. “Don’t try to reach too far. Don’t strain. Don’t overact. Stay with what you know you can do well. Trust your talent.”
And that is my routine now. Before every Lincoln performance, I do self-talk, assisted by a small deck of 3 x 5 cards. On one of them is written: “Trust you talent.”
And that is what Demaryius Thomas did. He trusted his talent, which in his case is speed.
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his services, contact us at 404-256-5927 or [email protected]
Don’t leave yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator if you invest more time here.
WhatYouSay.com Website Special!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES