What You Say At A Funeral Or In A Sympathy Card
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
Three months ago the wife of my close friend Brad died after a long, painful illness. Brad took it very hard. She was his very best friend.
I became increasingly concerned because I knew that Brad had a history of clinical depression, and sometimes drank too much. Much too much.
Nothing seemed to help him. Brad told me that sometimes he felt very angry. At other times he experienced deep feelings of regret, remorse, really, for his sins of omission and commission.
Fast forward to today. When we had lunch, Brad looked happier, more at peace. I asked him why, and here’s how Brad explained the change.
“A friend I’ve known for many years said something that changed how I felt. He said, ‘She’s not in pain anymore.’ That simple statement made the difference…Those last months were very, very difficult for her.”
A simple statement by a friend did it. It was not profound by any means, but it worked like magic for Brad.
No guarantees, but if you ever want to say just the right words to a friend who’s grieving over the loss of someone who suffered before they died, try the simple words, “He/she isn’t in pain any more.”
Don’t leave just yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator if you invest more time here.
WhatYouSay.com Website Special!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES
Your Complete Satisfaction Guaranteed. Whatyousay.com guarantees it